Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dogue
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Filter size advice
4 months ago

Having until now only used the kit 18-55mm and 55-250mm Canon lenses with my T3i, I have just ordered a 50/1.8 and the just-released 10-18/4.5-5.6, the latter in anticipation of doing some tree and landscape photography. I was also planning on procuring a CPL, but this brings up a few issues:

1) While I'd likely be using the CPL largely for landscape photos, I've heard the warning against using CPLs on wide-angles. Should I not use a CPL on the 10-18?

2) I'd like to keep costs down while also having versatility in using the filter. Between these four lenses, I'll have three different front filter diameters: 52mm for the 50/1.8, 58mm for the kit lenses, and 67mm for the 10-18. I've heard various conflicting suggestions: a) use only filters of the appropriate diameter; b) use a filter of the largest diameter and then step-up rings for small diameter lenses; c) use an average-size filter and then step-up or step-down rings for smaller or larger lens diameters. What do you recommend?

3) As I sometimes film in dusty environments and am prone to getting schmutz around the camera, I like to keep UV filters on my lenses. This may be irrelevant depending on the previous answers; but if I use step-up rings (see (2)) should I use UV filters to match the lens and then step-up rings?

Thanks for any advice.

ANSWER:
Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow