ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sceptical1
Junior MemberPosts: 49
Like?
Get another M10 or an M1
2 months ago

Hi All,

A few months ago I purchased an Olympus M10 hoping it would be a good backup / travel camera. I normally shoot (until recently) with 2 Nikon D7100's. I am a professional photographer that makes most of my living from shooting pets, but still make roughly 20% of my income from wildlife. I have been trying to get lighter for years, going from full frame to cropped and from heavy pro wildlife lenses (Nikon 200-400, 500 F4) to 300F4 plus TC and now the new Nikon 80-400. As you can see, I have gotten lighter and want to keep going!

So after using the M10 extensively for pet photography (lately using it as the main camera) I am considering moving entirely to this system next year after we get a good long prime like the rumored Olympus 300mm F4. In the meantime, I will keep a Nikon 7100 with the 80-400 for wildlife and use the Olympus's for shooting pets.

So here is my small dilemma. I like the M10 and purchased it for its size and features. I thought that regardless of how it performed with pets it would be a great travel camera. I have two lenses for it - the 12-40 2.8 zoom and the 45mm 1.8 prime. Both are great for pets. I will likely add a longer lens as well. So the question is what should I get next - another M10 or an M1. Here is what I am thinking. Right now I can purchase another M10 for $700. I can get the M1 with the 12-40mm 2.8 for $1849. Unfortunately, I already have this lens, but I know I can sell it immediately for $800 (another photographer will go in with me on the purchase and we both save $$$) So, the M1 will cost an extra $350. Is it worth an extra $350? Obviously, this is a more "professional" camera with weather sealing. That is a small advantage for wildlife photography but not huge. I know it is compatible with older 4/3's lenses, but I am not planning on purchasing any of those. I also like the grip available for the M1 and feel it might be better balanced for wildlife with a longer lens (again, the mythical 300mm F4) I am sure there are other differences that I might like, but these two cameras produce the same image quality and have the same AF. Note that the built-in flash is not a factor as I have all the lighting I need. Is there enough difference to justify $350? All constructive feedback is greatly appreciated.

Sceptical1

Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow