Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
afterburn
Contributing MemberPosts: 759Gear list
Like?
D800 never seizes to amaze
3 months ago

I use HDR whenever I feel the situation calls for it and sometimes I will make the exposures even if I am not sure if I will use them. Clicks are cheap and its better to have a bracketed sequence and not use them, than to come home from a trip and find out you should have.

That said, the D800 never seizes to amaze me. The shot below was taken in the cathedral of Sienna (Italy). HDR was not an option as the church is waaay too dark for a handheld sequence and no tripods allowed - not that I had one with me as I was on a motorcycle trip.

I exposed for the stained glass and the result was as expected: pretty much a black image with the bright circular stained glass exposed properly. I left it in figuring I would see what and if I could do with it when I got home.

As it turns out, that would be quite a lot.

Sienna Cathedral, D800 + 50/f1.8

There is a little bit of noise in the darkest areas, but that was to be expected and it doesn't bother me. Processed in LR5, using just the basic panel.

-- hide signature --

Gijs from The Netherlands
Nikon D800

afterburn's gear list:afterburn's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Apple Aperture +2 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow