Flat view
Stigg
Regular MemberPosts: 103
Like?
$5000 camera bested by $350 camera: Smart/Dumb Noise Reduction in Sony AXXXs
6 months ago

I read this thread with interest:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3685104#forum-post-53848233

I am starting to notice this kind of behavior in my own shots with the A3000. The variability of the applied noise reduction in the A6000 was very disappointing. The opposite is true with the detailed ISO3200 shot.

Sony's site for the A3000 (and I assume all of the other A cameras) mentions "smart" noise reduction. However it looks literally like its not so smart at times.

http://tonybritton.smugmug.com/Other/Canon-SX50-HS/i-4JpS24D

If you look at the photos at the above address you'll see they were all taken with a Canon SX50. All of the shots are excellent and appear to come from a multi-thousand dollar lens/camera combination. The wood duck is excellent and the details on the hummingbird are almost perfect.

Keep in mind these are all straight out of the camera! Nothing was done to the files and they are jpeg - no RAW! With some careful treatment they could be even better.

If I could consistently get shots like his with an SX50 I'd sell my A3000, SLR lenses and film cameras and just use the SX50. However I have been borrowing and testing SX50s for a while now because of the 24-1200mm range yet haven't achieved perfection like that directly from the camera.

This could mean several things:

1) There is variability in the jpeg rendering in Sony cameras from shot to shot and from camera to camera.

2) With a "great" SX50 its possible to get great jpegs from shot to shot. With a less than great SX50 shots are variable

3) Both the Sonys and Canons have complicated jpeg algorithms that have a steep learning curve, but once learned they can produce great shots all the time

4) Sony and Canon jpeg rendering is 50/50 smart/dumb

5) This is all just a lot of rubbish

Keep out of mind RAW. Keep in mind only jpeg. Some of us don't want to work with RAW files. If digital cameras only offered RAW I would use film 100% of the time rather than 50%

Sony a6000 Sony Alpha DSLR-A300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow