Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Alpha Orionis
Forum MemberPosts: 66
Like?
Re: First camera: DSLR or mirrorless
In reply to TTMartin, 5 months ago

TTMartin wrote:

Alpha Orionis wrote:

Both those cameras listed (T3i, D3200) would be great for you and a great place to start out. I would think about the future and research Nikon vs. Canon lenses and figure out which ones appeal to you more. Then try to find a store that has both (my local Fry's has them both, don't know where you are) and see which camera feels better.

As for DSLR dying, that's something ILC fans will tell you. On one side you have the ILC guys saying DSLR will be dead at ILC's hands, eventually. On the other hand you have DSLR users saying ILC isn't selling as well as their making it sound and camera phones/compacts will ultimately destroy the ILC's market. My point is no one really knows but if I were a betting man I would say DSLR isn't going anywhere anytime soon and certainly DSLR's outlook isn't as bleak as some of the rabid M43 fans on this board make it seem.

I'm primarily a dSLR user. I also use a Canon EOS M.

I recognize that 10 years from now mirrorless cameras will have replace dSLRs.

I also realize that it was just over 10 years ago that dSLRs, replaced film SLRs.

I agree the movement to mirrorless cameras is inevitable. But, it's not going to happen over night.

I also know that my Canon dSLR lenses will work on Canon's future mirrorless cameras, just as they work on my current EOS M.

edit:

Image from Mirrorless and DSLR camera shipments have decreased year-over-year, says a report coming from Japan’s Camera & Imaging Products Association (CIPA).

I currently own a Fuji X-E1 that I love, it's a very nice camera. But since selling off my DSLR I have been missing it especially since I have large hands and like the feel of a DSLR better in them. I took a trip to my local camera store the other day, it was pretty crowded and noticed almost everyone looking at cameras were looking at DSLR's and not mirrorless. I understand this is a very small sampling size but I think it indicates the mindset is still if you want to get more serious about photography you're going to buy a DSLR...or at least consider one first and if you are a DSLR user you're going to stick with DSLR...for the most part.

But the mirrorless format has to compete with camera phones and compact's, both of which are getting better and better and stealing the ILC thunder for the customer who wants a smaller camera and doesn't want to lug around a heavier DSLR. That's a lot to overcome and I'm not ready to say mirrorless is going to unequivocally replace DSLR in 10, 20, 50 or 100 years. I'm glad you're so sure about it, though.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow