All around travel zoom for semi-pro work?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
hoakin1981
Regular MemberPosts: 240
Like?
All around travel zoom for semi-pro work?
2 months ago

I have been using a D300s for some years now with very pleasing results. I cannot deny that i would like to upgrade to a FF model in the future but both the "if" and "when" are quite big for that matter at this point.

Here is my problem. I consider myself a serious amateur shooter meaning that i take photography seriously but obviously it is not (nor it will ever be) my main source of income. However, i would not mind making a few $ on the side from it so a website is on the works to showcase my portfolio etc. What i aim for is perhaps a magazine cover or inside layout, some reasonable sized prints etc. nothing too fancy.

On the other hand as said i am not a pro therefore when i.e. i travel i do it with my family and i have realized that i spend way too much time changing lenses and carrying them around to enjoy the trip and my family.

So, lately i have been considering an all-around zoom choice like the 18-200. I have to admit that normally i would stand clear of such choices since most often the dwarbacks are considerable for the convenience of carrying one lens. But as said, quality time with the family comes first.

To finish up before i bore you to death, are the 18-200 or perhaps the newer 18-300 advisable options for a one lens-does all choice? Obviously i am not expecting a 24-70 f2.8 performance IQ wise but i need it to be respectable with easy to fix distortions and usable corners.

P.S. I already have the 35mm f1.8G for low light and also the Full frame 18-35 f3.5-4-5G ED (long story). As for 3rd party i would like to avoid them since i have been burned in the past.

Thanks.

Nikon D300S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow