Would I regret a change from DP2M + DP3M to SD1M with good zoom lenses?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
quintana
Forum MemberPosts: 83
Like?
Would I regret a change from DP2M + DP3M to SD1M with good zoom lenses?
4 months ago

I recently spent a two week holiday in Tuscany and had a rather odd camera setup with me:

28mm: Ricoh GR (for High ISO and the lens outresolves the DP1M at least in the corners)

45mm: DP2M

75mm: DP3M

150mm: Olympus E-M10 with 75/1.8 lens (one of the finest lenses for mFT and I wanted more reach than the 75mm of the DP3M)

Conclusion 1: Working with 3 different manufacturers and 4 cameras is a pain in the a**. Especially when you mostly use a polarizer and adaptors for the different filter threads. And for better visibility of the LCD screen I mostly used a display loupe. And everything had to be changed many many times!

Conclusion 2: While every camera delivered at least decent results, I am far more pleased with the output of the DP2M and DP3M especially when it comes to plasticity and color rendition. The Ricoh GR came reasonably close but the Olympus was just at least one league below the Merrills.

Now I am thinking about how I can minimize the hassle with 4 cameras, different filter threads, attaching and detaching the display loupe etc. and thought that the SD1 Merrill might be a good idea.

So my questions are:

It is the same sensor that can also be found in the DPx Merrills, but is the look really the same? Will it have the same color rendition and plasticity or is there any difference?

What about the sharpness? The DP2M and DP3M deliver outstanding results, even wide open and from corner to corner. I know that die SD1M can not match this even with very good glass, but will it at least come close? For the sake of convenience I would use the 18-35/1.8 and the 50-150/2.8 (current version). That should reduce the hassle that I had to the bare minimum while it should be the best zoom lens option resolutionwise.

What do you think about my early stage plans? Who has experiences with the SD1M and those lenses? I hope my questions can be answered here.

Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma SD1 Merrill
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow