Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
LaMesa
Senior MemberPosts: 2,284Gear list
Like?
E-M10 does give away viewfinder sharpness
6 months ago

Since the days of film SLRs I am used to manual focusing with matte screens, followed by several digital cameras with electronic viewfinders. Some of those EVFs had less pixels than the E-M10, but were perfectly able to get across the moment of maximum focusing sharpness. This goes also for the VF-2 viewfinder on my E-PL1.

Unfortunately, this is different with the E-M10. When I first got my E-M10 three months ago, I thought something was wrong with the viewfinder, because it was definitely less sharp than my old VF-2 of the same pixel count. Since then, I often find myself fumbling with the little optocal adjustment knob to improve the viewfinder sharpness, to no avail.

I think that Olympus sacrificed resolution for higher refresh rate or any other task requiring computing power.

If you don't believe me, there is an easy proof:

Aim your camera at printed letters and move slowly backwards, until the writing just becomes unreadable. Take a picture, and - surprise: A much crisper and sharper review image appears, and the letters are perfectly readable. This is the sharpness I need and expect for taking pictures. Finally, please let me say that I am blessed with a sharp eyesight. Not all of you may be able to confirm my findings.

Herbert

-- hide signature --
 LaMesa's gear list:LaMesa's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +1 more
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus PEN E-PL1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow