Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ViRuS X
Regular MemberPosts: 168Gear list
Like?
Re: First camera: DSLR or mirrorless
In reply to kufuxul, 6 months ago

kufuxul wrote:

Hi,

As someone who doesn't own any DSLR and is not bound to Canon/Nikon lens system, should my first camera be DSLR or mirrorless?

My budget is 600$ and was leaning towards Canon T3i/Nikon D3200 until I found this article: http://www.stuckincustoms.com/2012/01/04/dslrs-are-a-dying-breed-3rd-gen-cameras-are-the-future/ which started me thinking about buying some mirrorless camera, as perhaps they are the future and will offer better options (lenses etc.) in couple years?

IMO .. Better to go for mirrorless, they are smaller in size that will make it easier to carry around, The image quality is equal if not better than some DSLRs having same sensor size.
The only problem would be your budget, you can get a good mirrorless camera for $500-$600 with a kit lens but in the future you will need more lenses that will cost as much as the camera maybe more.

Apart from future perspectives, will mirrorless camera offer same quality as T3i/D3200 in the same price range or will I be trading quality for portability? If so, what model should I take?

Image quality is equal to DSLRs both use same sensor size, for your budget I suggest that you look for :
Fujifilm X-E1
Fujifilm X-M1
Sony NEX-6
Sony NEX-5T (great deals on this one nowadays)
Sony A5000 (this one will have less control for manual use)
Olympus OMD-EM10 (this one has the smallest sensor compared to the other cameras but it performs as good as them)

Also, Canon/Nikon have established lens systems which are more than likely to be compatible with newest models... can the same be said about mirrorless cameras? If so, what system should I buy into?

I didn't get this one, all camera manifacturers produce lens system to be compatible with all their cameras DSLR or mirrorless.
The only difference between lenses that some of them are for Full frame cameras and some are for cropped sensor (this is not your issue don't worry about it).

Before you go ahead and decide which camera brand to take you should search for lenses to see their prices and variety of lenses available for you camera.
Sony, Fuji and Olympus lenses are great but the problem that you will have as a beginner is what focal length you need ?
To answer this question you should buy a camera with a kit lens and start shooting and learning, by time you will know what is the nest lens you will need.

I hope that was helpful enough for you

ViRuS X's gear list:ViRuS X's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony a77 II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony SLT-A99 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow