First camera: DSLR or mirrorless

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Alphoid
Senior MemberPosts: 2,759
Like?
Re: First camera: DSLR or mirrorless
In reply to baloo_buc, 6 months ago

I have cameras including a full frame dSLR, APS dSLTs, MFT mirrorless, and an RX100 with a 1" sensor.

Going all the way from 1" to full frame makes a big difference, at least when you're not constrained by depth-of-field (if you do want wide DoF, they're both comparable and limited by the quality of the glass).

MFT to APS? Not so much. You see it in lab tests on review sites, but in real-world shooting, if you gave me an MFT camera one day and an otherwise identical APS camera another, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

On the other hand, in the case of Olympus, I do get much better image quality than from an APS dSLR due to image stabilization. I typically use a 45mm f/1.8 lens on the Olympus. There are no equivalents to that on a dSLR.

I agree that autofocus tracking is not very good on mirrorless until you go a bit above OP's price range. Whether or not that matters depends on what OP is doing.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow