Dave Stott
Contributing MemberPosts: 594Gear list
Like?
Re: start with the viewfinder
In reply to jrtrent, 6 months ago

jrtrent wrote:

kufuxul wrote:

Hi,

As someone who doesn't own any DSLR and is not bound to Canon/Nikon lens system, should my first camera be DSLR or mirrorless?

Mike Johnston in an article on The Luminous Landscape once wrote, "The viewfinder is the single most important user interface on any camera. Throughout the history of cameras, the method of aiming the camera accurately and communicating its view to the operator is what has determined and defined most different basic camera types."

I find the experience of using LCD's, EVF's, and DSLR-style OVF's to be quite different, and I have a decided preference for the optical viewing system of a DSLR. I find LCD's useless in bright sun, plus I simply prefer a camera to be at my eye and pressed against my face rather than holding it out in front of me. I also find shadow/highlight detail much easier to see with an OVF compared with an EVF; again, this is particularly true on sunny days. After handling and looking through them, your preference might be different, or you may find that other advantages of cameras designed around LCD's or EVF's outweigh the differences in viewfinders, but do at least consider how easily you can see and compose your pictures with the different viewing systems.

Very good points, especially about the downside of an lcd for general use.  Otoh, a flip out and twistable lcd can be a real godsend for low down or hard to reach shots.   I wouldn't seriously consider a camera that didn't have both a vf and an lcd

As for ovf and evf, I use both and they each have pluses and minuses.    However, I principally use the vf for composition and not to judge the final image (though I can't decide whether the "blinkies" in the evf should be on or off), so either way it's not a big deal for me.

Da e

Dave Stott's gear list:Dave Stott's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow