Lets see your 58mm samples, was it worth it?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
TQGroup
Contributing MemberPosts: 798Gear list
Like?
Re: Lets see your 58mm samples, was it worth it?
In reply to RajahX, 5 months ago

RajahX wrote:

I was debating between the 58 f/1.4g and the 85 f/1.4g. Spent about 15 mins shooting with both lenses at the store. I tried to setup shots where i could evaluate bokeh and how the oof areas looked. I also tried to ensure that i was shooting similar images with both lenses. The 58 may have been a hair better ... but i am not sure i see what all the rave reviews are all about. Ended up going with the 85 as I felt it was a more appropriate focal length for what i wanted to do. If the 58 was better, i would have gone for it.

You have made an excellent choice... for yourself.

IMHO, neither lens is "better" than the other per se, but one may be better than the other for your needs; perceived or actual.

I have shot with both but own the 58 and the 85 F1.8G ... maybe my needs are different to yours?

Please, lets all stop claiming one XYZ is "better" than another PQR.

Then, maybe, we can get to better understand the finer points of what makes one "similar" product different to another "alternative". Who knows, we might even get certain lens testing sites to "grow up" and act a little more professionally... maybe??

Until then,vive la difference!

TQGroup's gear list:TQGroup's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow