Which do you like better, my Gimp or Lightroom version

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Lake Wobegon
Regular MemberPosts: 102Gear list
Like?
Re: Which do you like better, my Gimp or Lightroom version
In reply to Don_Campbell, 4 months ago

Don_Campbell wrote:

Of course neither lightroom nor GIMP did the processing. You did the processing, using those tools. Why your images came out looking so different seems to be a matter of inexperience in one or the other app.

I personally find GIMP quite intuitive after having used it since ~1997. (Anything is "intuitive" once you've done it enough times.) On the other hand, In the past several years I've stopped using GIMP for overall image manipulation after processing raws in DPP or RawTherapee.

I favor RawTherapee for most processing because its floating point arithmetic prevents color "knockout" typical of 8-bit per channel processors like GIMP and PS Elements. I use GIMP for end-of-edit tasks like special non-linear processing that works best using layers and layer masks and most sharpening tasks.

I've not tried Lightroom.

Don

I know my way around Gimp but have not done much actual photo processing. I used it more for composites and satire. And I did say that the same effect could be done in either program. I simply said those effects are easier in Lightroom (which you have not used).

Thanks for the reply.

Lake Wobegon's gear list:Lake Wobegon's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow