Crop Factor, Low Light and Aperture with m4/3 lenses?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
oneohone
Junior MemberPosts: 25Gear list
Like?
Crop Factor, Low Light and Aperture with m4/3 lenses?
2 months ago

I am in the market for a DSLR/mirrorless camera and after initial research and trying various cameras the Olympus M10 has made my final shortlist. Now I have some experience shooting 35mm film and in my experience I often take my 50mm f1.7 lens which I enjoy a great deal and it s a good fit for the types of photography I do, candid street, a little landscape and also portraits.

Now I wonder, I have mostly shot film (not counting snapshots with my cellphone) and then crop-factor never enterted my mind. The M10 has a larger crop factor than the other cameras on my shortlist (1.5 or  1.6) how does that impact the choice of lenses? To get something similar to the 50mm focal length I would need a 24mm lens, but what about aperture? If I understand correctly (and maybe I don't) aperture is also influenced by crop factor, then how is it possible to get a f.2.8 lens or lower for the m10? And how does that further influence low light performance? I often take pictures in low light without flash or tripod and from my experience with the film camera I often use f.2.8 or lower.

I know the M10 is a good camera, and the m4/3 system is also really good, and obviously people are satisfied using this system, but I just need a little help understanding the problem with low light and lens selection for the m4/3 system.

oneohone's gear list:oneohone's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Wow!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow