Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
phazelag
Senior MemberPosts: 2,728Gear list
Like?
My FZ200 versus my RX10 test. With thoughts on FZ1000
6 months ago

I just happened to purchase an RX10 prior to the FZ1000 announcement.  So you can all thank me for making that happen! LOL! But with all the speculation about the reach versus the speed of the FZ versus the RX, I thought I would see how my FZ200 stacked up against my RX10.  If you find value in this comparison, read on!  If not, there is no point.  I will give thoughts on the FZ1000 down at the bottom below the photos.

I didn't do low light testing yet, but I know the RX will win up to its max focal length and then the FZ200 will hold its own.  And you guys can see what my FZ200 can do in low light with dancers here. The last 12 photos. http://www.scottzinda.com/Point-and-Shoot-Cameras/FZ200/i-NgNWXdX

But I gave my 12 year old son who just asked to learn photography my FZ200 and set him up in Aperture Priority with spot metering and single area focus.  We went to the local lake and both snapped away.

I used the RX10.  I will post the link to all the photos below and embed some notables in the post.  My thoughts on the RX10 are this.  Panasonic's user interface is far better.   To exit any menu with the RX10 you have to click menu button with your other hand on the other side of the camera.  The Sony Clear Image Digital zoom works well but hard to see an advantage over a cropped image.  I will post examples.  Also you cannot use spot metering or single area focus while using digital zoom on the Sony, so I was never confident I was getting what I wanted, but in the end, the Sony did well.

The Sony Autofocus is much slower than the FZ200.  It was so frustrating after having such a responsive device like the FZ200.  Also if you like to chimp, forget it with the Sony, it is always processing and the photo is never ready immediately, even in JPEG only.  In fairness this was using a high FPS is short bursts, and 20mp is lot to process but it was still frustrating.

The Sony Picture Effects like the In Camera HDR and watercolor are superb.  I did notice that Sony would lean toward underexposure and the FZ200 would lean toward overexposure in spot metering.

Also the in burst mode the Sony would change its metering after 2 photos or so for some reason almost every time predictably.

Here are the photos, so judge for yourself.  I recommend clicking the circle i to see the exif data as you scroll through on my website.  In most cases the RX10 photos are first.  And the watercolor and HDR at the end are only the Sony.   http://www.scottzinda.com/Point-and-Shoot-Cameras/FZ200-Test-Shots/n-VVZVX/

Sony RX10

FZ200

RX10

FZ200

RX10

FZ200

RX10 200mm optical

RX10 400mm digital Clear Image

RX10

FZ200

What my knowledge of these two cameras tells me about the FZ1000 is that I think I want reach over speed since I think f4 with that sensor will do 90% of what I need in low light.  The FZ1000 with f4 at 400mm should easily produce nicer bokeh than the RX10.   At 600mm the FZ200 wins the bokeh battle against the RX10.  I did have to move from about 15 feet back with the RX10 to about 30ft back with the FZ200.  The RX10 had better image quality but ugly bokeh.  The FZ1000 should have image quality and nice bokeh both.  The Panasonic Menu system is superior to Sonys for the way I like to shoot.  Sony requires too much menu diving and many functions don't work in JPEG and many won't work in Raw.  Being in digital zoom will block setting changes too.  This is all time consuming.

phazelag's gear list:phazelag's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +2 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow