Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Pepe-Lepue
Senior MemberPosts: 1,898Gear list
Like?
After two weeks - The a6000 stays and the NEX-7 goes
3 months ago

I've read plenty of threads regarding the worthiness of a NEX-7 to a6000 upgrade. And I see valid points made by those who chose to stay w/ N7 as well as from those who chose to upgrade.

I decided to not jump to conclusions and try both for two weeks. And after this trial the a6000 is absolutely the camera for me.
It matches my style of photography better. My style is this; I don't go out of my way to shoot photos (or get a particular shot). Instead photos are a reflection of me and what I'm doing at any given time. I see something interesting and I photograph it.
I was an ardent defender of the Tri-Navi at first. But one hour in w the a6000 and I was a convert. It simply made more sense allowing for me to set up my shots more intuitively and quickly. If I put the NEX-7 down for more than a few days I would have to 'refresh' my relationship w the camera. Not so much w the a6000.
Now for the most defining difference! The AF performance of the a6000 is paramount. W the NEX-7 I found myself taking at least 3 shots to insure focus in active environments. I havent had any issue getting the shot on the first w the a6000. Love the tracking!
I was worried about the lower resolution of the view finder. I can honestly say that I no longer care. The a6000 VF is great as is.
What I will miss most is the artificial horizon from the NEX-7. Shooting landscape in Maui was greatly assisted by the NEX-7 AH. I will make do.
One difference hardly mentioned is the rear lcd display. My N7 utilizes antireflective coating whereas the a6000 does not. This actually makes for much better outdoor readability of the N7.
One last thing I will miss about the N7, but will enjoy the other advantages of on the a6000; The flash shoe on the N7 makes for a smaller flash profile and can be connected/disconnected much faster than the NI one found on the a6000. But I understand the purpose behind the upgrade.
While I haven't posted since 2011, I am an early adopter of the NEX platform. I came out the gate w the orginal NEX-5. I've replaced all of my Canon gear to benefit from a take-anywhere NEX system. But there's no way I'm going full frame in the E mount line. Too much weight and costs.
Forgive the crappy phone-cam shot below. The kit lenses are attached simply for display. But I actually find the compact 16-50 useful.

-- hide signature --
 Pepe-Lepue's gear list:Pepe-Lepue's gear list
RX100 III Sony a6000 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +4 more
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow