Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ravenwing Photo
Contributing MemberPosts: 663Gear list
Like?
E-5/E-M1 Comparison (here ya go, Rich)
4 months ago

In last weeks Garden thread, Rich asked me about taking some comparison shots with these two bodies, using the same lens at the same time so conditions would be the same.  Here are three examples taken today, using the 50-200 SWD lens with EC-20.  All were shot wide open (f7 in this case) and auto iso, in aperture priority mode, auto WB.  I didn't notice until I went to develop them and that I had exposure comp. set to -0.3 on the E-M1, and the E-5 was zeroed out. That probably accounts for any differences in iso and shutter speed.  Light was pretty flat, gray and rainy day today.

Absolutely not scientific at all, just went out on the deck and shot the three flowers with the E-M1, then switched to the E-5 and shot them again.  Conversion from RAW was done in DxO and imported to LR as DNG, adjusted a bit more, then exported as jpegs and sharpened in PS using Focus Magic.  Not at all "out of camera", these are processed using my normal routine, just making them look somewhere near 'right' to me.

My only observations:  Really not much difference here.  Perhaps a bit sharper on the E-M1 due to higher pixel count (admittedly debatable).  There are some color differences, which I would attribute more to different tone curve profiles in the raw developers for each body than anything else.  No doubt in my mind that these could be made completely indistinguishable with some futzing around in conversion.  I think the biggest edge for the E-M1 doesn't even come into play here, that being performance at higher iso's.

So, Rich.  If your only reason for considering an upgrade is image quality at low to moderate iso's.....I probably wouldn't bother, they're so similar.  If you're looking for smaller/lighter, that's another question, dependent on whether you're going to switch to m4/3 lenses, or hang a 50-200 with TC on the E-M1 like me!  And there's plenty of debate out there regarding AF differences.  Personally, I find AF quicker and perhaps more reliable with the E-M1 after the firmware update, but the E-5 is for sure just fine as well.  Other considerations might include ovf vs. evf, etc.

Bottom line for me, I like them both....a lot.

-- hide signature --

Nate
"There's only one rule in photography - never develop colour film in chicken noodle soup." - Freeman Patterson

Ravenwing Photo's gear list:Ravenwing Photo's gear list
Olympus E-10 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-500 Olympus E-30 +6 more
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow