ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
lof
lof
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
RAW conversion and choice of camera brands
3 months ago

I have been a long time user of Nikon DSLRs shooting RAWs which are decoded with Capture NX2 into 16-bit TIFFs for processing in Photoshop CS6. In my experience, the Nikon NEFs generally give very consistent results and a good latitude for processing. The color and details are truly pleasing.

Recently, I am considering a switch to mirrorless for less weight and more freedom in framing via a tilting screen. Sadly, Nikon is not offering the kind of serious mirrorless that I am looking for. So there is no way but to opt for other camera brands. I have looked at Olympus E-M1, Fujifilm X-T1, Sony A7/A6000 and a few Panasonic models. But the problem is I have no idea how well the RAW files are converted with these camera brands. It will be great if conversion can be done with the camera manufacturer’s native converter, with similar ease and quality as in converting NEFs with Capture NX2. I do have Camera Raw in Photoshop, but often find it difficult to achieve the result attainable with Capture NX2 even with tweaking.

I hate to leave a familiar territory and head into an unknown one. But Nikon leaves me no choice (why don’t they make a serious mirrorless other than the CX?). And in choosing my next camera, raw conversion will be a critical factor.

Would greatly appreciate if anyone could share your experience and comments on the raw conversion aspect (for maximum image quality) for these camera brands. My main concern is the quality of conversion itself, not the editing features or bells and whistles of the converter. Thanks.

Fujifilm X-T1 Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow