Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Dave Stott
Regular MemberPosts: 468Gear list
Like?
Re: First camera: DSLR or mirrorless
In reply to kufuxul, 5 months ago

kufuxul wrote:

Hi,

As someone who doesn't own any DSLR and is not bound to Canon/Nikon lens system, should my first camera be DSLR or mirrorless?

My budget is 600$ and was leaning towards Canon T3i/Nikon D3200 until I found this article: http://www.stuckincustoms.com/2012/01/04/dslrs-are-a-dying-breed-3rd-gen-cameras-are-the-future/ which started me thinking about buying some mirrorless camera, as perhaps they are the future and will offer better options (lenses etc.) in couple years?

Apart from future perspectives, will mirrorless camera offer same quality as T3i/D3200 in the same price range or will I be trading quality for portability? If so, what model should I take?

Also, Canon/Nikon have established lens systems which are more than likely to be compatible with newest models... can the same be said about mirrorless cameras? If so, what system should I buy into?

I'd appreciate your help!

FWIW I have both dslr (t3i) and mirrorless (Panasonic G5) systems,  in both cases with good quality but not top of the range lenses.   Both bodies are equally versatile (maybe the G5 has the edge), and both produce images that satisfy me in everyday shooting.

For general use I carry the G5, coupled with the 14-140mm lens.   It is portable and flexible - no advantage in taking the Canon.

For wildlife shooting I stay with the Canon.   Micro 4/3 do not currently have a long zoom that would satisfy me.     As and when they do I will probably go completely mirrorless.

It depends on what you plan using the kit for.   I think in a year or two,  mirrorless will certainly do anything we want, and it will come down to range of glass and cost,  but no-one really can tell you.

Dave

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow