Thinking of A7 vs RX1 to supplement A6000 or wait for next gen. cameras?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Donny out of Element here
Contributing MemberPosts: 693Gear list
Like?
Thinking of A7 vs RX1 to supplement A6000 or wait for next gen. cameras?
2 months ago

I have A6000 with 16-70 f/4 and I'm very happy with it. It serves my family well for traveling, light and compact while having 24-105 equiv. range. Fast AF. 24Mp for cropping. Easy choices to go tele if I need to. Around 85% of my shots fall within this range. Almost happy camper with it. Almost...

When night falls and shadows creep, the good old trusty Zeiss f/4 cannot withstand dark evil forces. The light is needed to the rescue. So I was thinking for FF camera which main purpose will be complementing my A6000 mainly for indoor low light family shots, pubs etc. Main object people, so OSS won't help, I have to stay at least 1/60 or preferably 1/80 even, flash is not welcome (I'm not going to use even bounce flash, I'm not a reporter after all and don't want to disturb my friends and family with harsh light, besides any descent flash adds bulk AND I prefer natural light). So there are 2 things left to help me: fast lenses and bigger sensor. So FF in A7 or RX1 will give me at least 1 stop advantage - that's good, but not enough per se. Another 1 stop would come from FE35 f2.8 (FE55 is too long indoors for me). I need AF, since it's not only me who is going to be shooting with camera. So to keep my setup small (which is also important) FE35 seems the only choice so far. And I like FE35 - it has small hood, it is fairly sharp wide open (main use for me) and is cheaper than it's equivalent sibling E24Z. Speaking of which I come to my final question: Is it worth buying A7 with FE35 if E24Z can theoretically give me same 2 stop advantage at f1.8? I mean IF later Sony/Zeiss will come out with FE35 f2 - then it would instantly make sense, but other than that I see no point. In RX1 case I have f2 instantly, but its AF is so slow Am I wrong?

Sony a6000 Sony Alpha 7 Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow