Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Daniel Bliss
Senior MemberPosts: 1,690Gear list
Like?
Question on D800 vertical grips
6 months ago

I'm looking at using a vertical grip on the D800, and while my normal inclination would be to get the Nikon one, the stubbornly high price combined with a potentially useful feature on one of the third-party models has me asking the question.

The third party one I'm considering is a Hahnel grip at $130, which has a built-in infrared receiver and a remote control, enabling me to control the camera with a simple remote without having to attach a WR-A10 to the ten-pin outlet.

I place a high premium on fit and finish with these things, in particular being able to attach to the camera without constantly having to tighten the tripod screw. Nikon's own grip on the D7000 flunked slightly in this regard in my view. But if the MB-D12 is superior in this respect to any of the third party alternatives, and if the third-party alternatives don't fit RRS quick release plates (there's a divot in the back of the MB-D12 and some of the third-party grips which the plates lock into as I understand), I'd probably grin and bear it.

Any comments on the Hahnel, Nikon's own grip, or others you might recommend?

Nikon D7000 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow