HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus, N911g, true black printing dissabled for photo paper

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
oliverlynton
New MemberPosts: 1Gear list
Like?
HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus, N911g, true black printing dissabled for photo paper
4 months ago

I recently purchased this printer for use in my home/studio/office as an all-round printer but also to print up good quality draft photographs for clients. What attracted me to the printer was the ability to select 'black cartridge only' for printing black & white images.

I was dismayed to find that if photo paper is selected as paper type the black cartridge only option is disabled. After a few tries and several prints with a green tinge to the blacks I contacted HP. After a long telephone discussion with a technician, and several fruitless tweaks, he actually admitted that the printer he was trying on also had the same problem and that his supervisor said this was intentional to provide a nicer quality black. Black is black, not very dark green!

We tried a few workarounds but none are satisfactory.

This is a firmware issue that HP have done on purpose as they apparently feel a black with a green tinge makes for better photographs. I asked the technician if there was any plan to fix the firmware and was told there was not.

The user manual clearly stating, page 41 (Mac) page 40 (Win), that selecting black cartridge only is an option when photo paper is selected as paper type. This is untrue.

Can anyone who shares my concerns please post so perhaps we can persuade HP to enable this in a firmware upgrade.

Or should I take them to court?

oliverlynton's gear list:oliverlynton's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow