Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
43Shooter
Junior MemberPosts: 40Gear list
Like?
E-P5 and E-M10
6 months ago

So I recently got my wife a new E-M10 and I inherited her E-P5/VF-4. On a recent overseas trip, she used the VF-4 EVF quite a bit out of necessity. When we got back home, she wanted a camera with a built-in EVF. We we're considering the E-M10 and the GX7. However, after trying the E-M10 in the store, she liked it enough to buy it right away, in part because none of the stores in Charlotte carry the GX7.

A few observations about the two cameras:

• The build quality on the E-P5 is much better. The E-M10 by comparison feels plasticy, especially with the four way controller. This is an observation rather than a criticism given that the E-M10 is $100 less expensive and has an EVF.
  • The rear screen on the E-M10 is very difficult to extend and tilt. I need to get a good grip on the camera with one hand and apply more force than I'd prefer with the other hand in order to do so. The E-P5 is easier but still more difficult than I'd like. By comparison, the screen on my old Panasonic GF6 was very quick and easy deploy but never felt loose and/or prone to accidental deployment. Back to the Olys, I wonder if the screen mechanism loosens up a bit with use. Anybody have experience with this?
  • The position of the rear dial on the E-M10 doesn't work for me. I have to extend my thumb to reach it which makes using it feel a bit unnatural. The same dial on the E-P5 is right next to where my thumb would be anyway so it feels much easier to use. This is personal preference but does illustrate that one should try a camera if at all possible before buying it.
  • As one would expect, the VF-4 EVF is much better than the internal one on the E-M10. However, I think for many people the E-M10 EVF is good enough that it's worth the convenience (my wife is perfectly happy with it). And as you can see from the picture, the E-M10 is not much bigger than the E-P5 without the external EVF.
  • The flash release button on the E-P5 is maddening. If I has a dime for every time I accidentally deployed the flash, I would have at least 17 dimes by now (almost enough for a cup of coffee at Starbucks). In fact, I did just that when placing the camera down for the attached picture.

My wife loves her E-M10. Personally, I prefer the E-P5/VF-4. The build quality is better and the E-M10 has a few more niggles than the E-P5. While I'd rather have an internal EVF, having the option of a much better external EVF when you need it isn't a bad alternative. The E-P5/VF-4 is several hundred dollars more expensive if you buy it new, but we got ours (used) on eBay for $725 shipped.

I hope some of you find this useful.

43Shooter's gear list:43Shooter's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow