Should Panasonic add a Minimum Shutter Duration setting to the GH4?

Started 6 months ago | Polls thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mpgxsvcd
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,941Gear list
Like?
Should Panasonic add a Minimum Shutter Duration setting to the GH4?
6 months ago

I have been using the GH4 since day 1. Honestly, it is very close to being the perfect camera for my needs. The biggest issue I have is that Program Priority mode with Auto ISO will never use faster than 1/60 of a second shutter duration if you have a wide angle prime on the camera. Here is a video that explains why we need a minimum shutter duration setting for Auto ISO in Program priority mode for both stills and video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jWzbXczUnE

Even if your ISO is very low the camera will simply use whichever is faster of “1 divided by 2 times the focal length” or “1/60 of a second” in Program Priority mode with Auto ISO. If you are using the excellent Leica 25mm F1.4 lens or the 14mm F2.5 lens it will always use 1/60 of a second or slower in low light situations.

The GH4 is excellent even up to ISO 12,800. There is no good reason for it to be shooting at ISO 1600 and 1/60 of a second if it could be shooting at 1/120 of a second and ISO 3200. Even if your subjects are standing still a simple head turn can cause blurring at 1/60 of a second.

Panasonic recommends the Intelligent ISO feature instead of the Auto ISO feature in order to predict motion. However, the Intelligent ISO feature is actually even worse. With the 35-100mm F2.8 lens in low light it will often use 1/30 of a second or slower shutter duration and a low ISO if it doesn’t detect fast movement. At the equivalent of 200mm focal length on full frame 1/30 of a second is absolutely not sufficient even with the in lens image stabilization.

The true remedy for these issues is to implement the minimum shutter duration setting for Auto ISO in Program Priority mode that is found on the LX7 and most likely on the upcoming FZ1000 and LX8. This feature would be easy to implement on the GH4 with a firmware update. The problem is that Panasonic doesn’t think we really want it that bad.

Please watch the video above and let Panasonic know that they should implement the minimum shutter duration feature for the GH4.

mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +2 more
POLL
Yes they should add a min shutter duration setting to the GH4
78.9% 15  votes
I am not sure that I need a min shutter duration setting on the GH4
0.0% 0  votes
I do not need a min shutter duration setting on the GH4
15.8% 3  votes
They should implement some other feature before they add this one to the GH4
5.3% 1  vote
  Show results
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
EM1?New
amenNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow