EM1 shutter shock: Can I forget about this now?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Chippy99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,368Gear list
Like?
EM1 shutter shock: Can I forget about this now?
3 months ago

I have been considering a new compact system camera for ages and yesterday finally managed to have a play with an EM1 and I REALLY liked it.  So I am all set to go ahead and buy it (with the 12-40 lens and a wide prime) and now I read all this stuff about shutter shock.

Does this latest firmware mean this "problem" is fixed to the point I can stop worrying about it?

I had never heard of shutter shock before yesterday, but on the face of it, it is very concerning.  Many of my photos are taken in the 1/30th to 1/250th shutter speed range.  I cannot reasonably be expected to try to avoid these speeds and to be thinking about this every time I pick up the camera.

Similarly applying a (say) 1/8th second shutter delay is completely unacceptable. I need the shutter to fire when I press the button, or as practicably soon as possible, not some time later. That would be utterly hopeless for photographing the kids running around. Near instant focusing and shutter response is one of the main advantages over a P&S, so introducing deliberate delay is right out.

Can I just permanently set the shutter shock delay to zero now and forget all about this?  If I am constantly having to worry, will I or won't I get shutter shock on every shot, and should I change this setting or that, then this will COMPLETELY ruin the whole experience for me.  To the point this is a potentially a show stopping issue that puts me off the whole purchase.

I had hoped (and thought) the EM-1 was everything I was looking for, and now I am quite worried about this. Can anyone reassure me before I drop a couple of thousand pounds plus over the next day or so?

Chippy99's gear list:Chippy99's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow