6D - What are the other 10 AF points for?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
kbdkbd
Regular MemberPosts: 116Gear list
Like?
6D - What are the other 10 AF points for?
5 months ago

Just got a 6D. Up until now I've been really content with my T4i, but wanted better low light and FF.

Try as I might I can't get the AF points (outside of center) to focus on anything. I select any of them and lay it on top of the object I want in focus, and the lens just hunts and gives up. This happens with any distance, could be 3'~100' away. Enable the center point and it works flawlessly. Tried it with the kit EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, and my EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM.  All the same results.

I've tried it in One-Shot, AI Focus, AI Servo,  and in Live View all 3 modes.

My T4i works flawlessly when selecting single AF points because all 9 are cross type.  Use it all the time for close up flowers, tele shots etc.

I know that the 6D only has one cross-type in the center,  so what's the point of allowing me to select any other one when it doesn't work? What am I missing?  Seems that the other 10 AF points really don't do anything if manually selected individually.

I love the camera, but I really need to get the trick to using the AF point selection. Either that or I'll be doing a lot of re-comp with the center point selected (or a lot of MF LOL!).

kbdkbd's gear list:kbdkbd's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +6 more
Canon EOS 650D (EOS Rebel T4i / EOS Kiss X6i) Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow