Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
RGiskard
Regular MemberPosts: 272Gear list
Like?
Anyone used both the GM1 and RX100?
3 months ago

I've been using the GM1 for a few months now as the compact companion to my E-M1. So far, it has treated me well in terms of IQ, and I find it to be a very comfortable camera to hold. I keep being tempted by the Sony RX100 lineup, though, because as small as the GM1 is, it really isn't as pocketable as I would like. I use the compact camera for pictures of my kids around the house and when going anywhere that doesn't warrant a "full" camera and lens selection.  I frequently use the GM1 with the 20 1.7, but find it to be a bit too slow in AF. I ordered the PL 15mm and should have it tonight, and the Oly 25 1.8 is great. However, these lenses extend 1.5-2" from the camera, making it small, but not pocketable. The GM1 also struggles in full sun due to the lack of an EVF, while the RX100 iii adds that great feature.

I originally envisioned a lot of synergy between the E-M1 and the GM1. However, I am sad to find that there isn't as much overlap in my lens usage as I would like. I find the 20 too small for the E-M1, and the 12-40 and 75 are too big for the GM1. The 15 and 25 will handle well on both bodies, but that isn't enough overlap for me to feel like I MUST stay in u4/3 for my "go anywhere" camera. (It also annoys me that the aperture ring on the 15mm doesn't work on Oly bodies!)

So, all that being said, has anyone used both the GM1 and RX100? Is the IQ of the Sony close enough to the u43 sensor to make IQ a non-factor? There is obviously a shallow DOF advantage - the Oly 25 has the DOF of a f3.6 FF sensor, while the Sony would have DOF of about f8 (using FF terms to standardize the comparison). The GM1 has a much faster max shutter, but the RX's built-in ND filter would largely negate that advantage.

I know that a) I am asking this question on the u43 forum and b) it is always hard to put yourself in another photographer's shoes.  So, with those caveats in mind, any advice for me?

Thanks!

RGiskard's gear list:RGiskard's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +9 more
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 RX100 III Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow