ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Zenza R
Junior MemberPosts: 35
Like?
Fx camera for tiny DOF portraits?
3 months ago

Hi everyone,

I am a Pentax shooter who is happy with it when it comes to landscape and travel photography. (Very good DR and compact body) However as someone who loves 3d like portraits, I would like to buy an FF camera. I will probably stick with lenses like 85 mm 1.4 and 135 mm f2.0.

First, I thought buying a 5d classic is a good idea. With the Ee-s Super Precision Focusing Screen, manual focus is the way to go. However, sometimes I am shooting outdoors in contrasty scences and I am not sure that shadow recovery (or highlight recovery) of 5d classic will make me happy. Same story applies to 5d MK II... 5d classic is still an option for me with some question marks...

I believe D700 can provide necessary shadow recovery (at least +2 stops without much noise in shadows) and in that price range a second hand d600 becomes an option, too. I really would like to have d600 or d610 over the other alternatives (due to DR), but I am not sure about the coverage of AF points. I generally compose according to one third rule and sometimes put my subject even closer to corners of the frame, therefore focus and recompose may not result in sharp images with that tiny DOF. (Not really sure )

I also know that there are some Nikon Fx shooters who use Canon's Super Precision Focusing Screen (with proper shimming) with their manual focus lenses. Installing one to a D600 could be a good idea for me and it will also save me some money...(price of manual focus lenses vs autofocus lenses)

So another D700 vs D600 thread with the souce of focusing screen!

Any recommendation is welcomed!!

Canon EOS 5D Nikon D600 Nikon D610 Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow