* Wed C&C No Theme Thread #320 14 06 11 *

Started 6 months ago | Photos thread
Scott Whittemore
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,186
Like?
Folly Cove: Group Reply
In reply to Scott Whittemore, 6 months ago

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

Andrew & Stephen: I actually had to tease out some contrast around the horizon to get it to show up at all. The relatively warm May air over the still-winter-cold ocean caused the horizon and the clouds to be obscured by haze.

Stephen: Yes, it's pretty flat light, with the overcast sky, and I didn't compensate much for that in my processing.

Tom: It was cool but I wouldn't call it cold. May usually brings relatively warmer weather to the northeast U.S. but the ocean's still quite cold and coastal areas are slow to warm up. Still, this was a nice day, temperature-wise. Probably around 60F at the time I took this shot.

Lou: Thanks for mentioning the halo along the upper edge of the rocks. I had been intending to adjust that. It's an artifact I caused when I reduced the luminosity in the blue channel relative to the others to darken the sky and increase definition in the clouds. I have now finally used Lightroom's local adjustment brush to make it a bit less pronounced, thanks to your reminder.

Kevin: Thanks for your suggestions. Lightroom's default rendering of the ORF produces a fairly washed out, nearly featureless sky and dark, blocked up shadows under the rocks. It took a lot of tonal adjustments (local and global) to bring out some detail in the shadows (esp. under the lighter colored rock in the foreground), to enhance the textural details in the rocks, barnacles and seaweed, and to tease out some definition in the clouds and horizon. As you say, though, one can always do more.

Liz, Zin, David & minniev: Thanks again for looking and commenting.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
LouNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow