Is my glass good enough?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
davids8560
Contributing MemberPosts: 546Gear list
Like?
Re: Is my glass good enough?
In reply to audiobomber, 2 months ago

Stop buying lenses, unless you're ready to go for higher quality. You have some good lenses, more than enough for a respectable kit. The Sigma 17-70 does not have better IQ than a DA 16-45. In fact I would say the opposite, but whatever, they're close. The Sigma 18-250mm does not have better IQ than the DA 18-135, and neither can match the DA 55-300mm as a telephoto. If you insist on buying more lenses, at least go with lenses that are better than what you have, not more consumer grade stuff.

I'm not a K-5 fan. I rely heavily on auto-focus for birding and that was the K-5's weak spot (only 11 AF points, center point too large, unreliable accuracy in coloured light, weak focus tracking). The K-3 is a huge improvement in AF precision and tracking. It also has the extra pixels I frequently rely on for heavy crops. If these are important to you, you will love the K-3.

Moving from 16mp to 24mp on an APS-C camera increases resolution, even with humble lenses. That was proven beyond a doubt at DXOMark. When they compared lenses on the D7100 vs. D7000, they measured a 30-50% increase in MTF values, even with consumer grade glass.

-- hide signature --

Dan

Dan,

Thank you for the straightforward advice. I will put it to good use!

Cheers,

Dave

davids8560's gear list:davids8560's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Olympus Stylus 1 Pentax K-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow