vwsjr
Regular MemberPosts: 192Gear list
Like?
Re: Any three lenses (but only three)
In reply to Tuanglen, 4 months ago

Tamron 150-600mm

Nikon 14-24 f/2.8

Nikon 105mm f/2.8 VR

Probably an odd selection and not an outrageously expensive one either.  First and foremost I could not give up my bird and wildlife photography.  I'd sure like a Nikon 600mm f/4, but I love to hike far and with only three lenses, that big heavy one would just be too limiting.  I also love using wide-angle lenses and although I could substitute some other options, I think the Nikon 14-24 would be the best balance for what I need in this range, and it work well for landscapes, another favorite subject of mine.  Finally, I couldn't do without a macro lens.  Again, not sure this is really my best choice, but I like the working distance of this lens over a shorter one, and the portability and VR compared to some longer macro's.  I don't need the VR for macro's, but it gives the lens some added flexibility for other types of photos.

For me, if I was limited to three lenses, covering the extremes would be more important to me than having great lenses in the middle.  For the photography I do I just don't find myself using the 50-300 range all that often (on DX), and in a crunch I wouldn't mind giving up an even broader range, as long as I had good lenses for both ends.  I sure would feel guilty about not taking this opportunity to get the Nikon 800mm VR or even the 600mm f/4 VR.

vwsjr's gear list:vwsjr's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow