Started 6 months ago | Polls thread
Shutterbug013
Forum MemberPosts: 92Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma 18-35 F1.8 or Tamron 24-70 F2.8
In reply to AlbertInFrance, 6 months ago

AlbertInFrance wrote:

Shutterbug013 wrote:

I forgot to mention that the Tamron also has VC (image stabilization)

Why do you want to get another lens? It sounds like you want wider apertures, but is there any other reason?

Do you expect to be able to get shots you can't get at present (shallower DOF, lower light shooting) or better image quality? Or something else?

Have you looked at your shooting stats to determine how much you shoot different F/L ranges? Do you often shoot both long and wide in the same session?

Nobody can tell you what you should buy, because they'll probably just be projecting their own tastes -- my most-used lens is probably a 70-300mm zoom!

-- hide signature --

Albert
Every photograph is an abstraction from reality.
Most people are more interested in the picture than the image.

My current lens that I use nearly all the time is the Nikon 18-105 F3.5-5.6 kit lens. I find the variable aperture a real pain in the neck especially at the long end. Both the Sigma and Tamron have much faster apertures then what my kit lens has which not only means better shallow DOF but also better low light performance (school performances, awards etc). On top of that both lenses are also a lot sharper then my kit lens.

Regarding shooting stats i shoot across the 18-105 range but a lot at the wide end (18-40mm)and occasionally at the long end (70-105mm - but my 70-200mm can cover that)

If the Tamron was wider at the wide end i would buy it in a heart beat but because it does not i am a little hesitant to go out and buy it. Like wise i am a little hesitant to buy the Sigma as i don't know how much i will miss the normal zoom range (35-50) and its a DX lens.

I know you can buy lenses to fill in the gaps that either lens cannot do (35-70mm of the Sigma and xx-24 for the Tamron) but i dont want to buy a lens on the fact that "oh I will just get a 50mm prime/ wide angle zoom and everything will be fine" because my financial position does not allow me to buy either the Sigma or Tamron AND another lens to compensate for the lost focal length.

Shutterbug013's gear list:Shutterbug013's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow