1DX settings - experienced advice please!

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
expro
Contributing MemberPosts: 854Gear list
Like?
1DX settings - experienced advice please!
2 months ago

Have used 5d3 for couple of years and recently added 1dx.

I am testing and testing to find best AF and custom settings for sports and wildlife but I would also like to hear your experiences to help me.

so:

1. I learnt form numerous canon bodies and 5d3 to set only one point for AF to ensure I get exactly the focus I want. Is this still true with 1dx? I have tried 5 and 9 point selection and on those I have ended up with less hits and some nice focus on unwanted backgrounds, despite keeping the chosen point on subject.... happens especially when background is busy... is this your experience?

2. if I use 61 point AF, then presumably I will have to stop down to increase dof to make sure the relevant parts of animals (ie eyes) are also in focus? Seems obvious but have to ask...

3. When shooting larger mammals with 500f4isii can i consistently shoot at f4 or will this be too tight dof considering typical safari distance to subject, ie head shots...

4. finally I find the c1,c2,c3 cycle cumbersome compared to the 5d3 dial... can I assign c1 etc to a button and simply press that to change instead of cycling? Or have you in your experience got used to this and no longer a hassle?

on the comparison side for those that are interested... I have found 1dx better at everything than 5d3, except I miss the extra pixels... if only canon tech could provide 24mp and 8-10fps then I would be very happy bunny.

many thanks for any help with questions above. Will save me and possibly many others many hours of testing.....

expro's gear list:expro's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +11 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS-1D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow