Published - EISA Architectural Photography comp.

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ianbramham
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,277Gear list
Like?
Published - EISA Architectural Photography comp.
6 months ago

Some of my architectural photos are published this week (14th June edition) in "Amateur Photographer" magazine which is a glossy weekly mag here in the UK.

The reason they are in the magazine is that I placed third in the UK round of the Europe-wide EISA architectural photography competition for 2014 - thanks to John Leech (jkjond) here on this forum who emailed me to tell me about it and to suggest I have a go.

The 5 photos were all taken with my favourite Nikon lens - the 16-35vr using either a D700 or D800.

Ian
Fine Art Photography Website: http://ianbramham.com/

Hallgrimskirkja, Iceland
This modernist Lutheran church is a landmark building in Reykjavik, Iceland and was designed by local architect Guojon Samuelsson. The design was inspired by the naturally occurring basalt columns of Iceland's dramatic landscape.

Imperial War Museum North, Manchester
This museum is very close to my office in Manchester and was designed by architect Daniel Libeskind. It opened in 2002. The building has 3 main elements or shards designed to represent the idea of a globe shattered by conflict. This was a 3 minute long-exposure photo using neutral density filters as I wanted to bring out the reflection in the water of the setting sun on the metal cladding of the air shard.

For those of you based in the USA, Libeskind is perhaps better known for winning the architectural competition to replace the World Trade Center after the 9/11 attack.

Liverpool Cathedral, England
In 1903 architect Giles Gilbert Scott won the competition to design this wonderful Anglican cathedral which is one of the largest in the world. He was just 22 years old. He worked on it all his life but died in 1960 before it was completed. This photo was taken from the top of St James's Cemetery at dusk.

Louvre, Paris
Architect I. M. Pei's famous Louvre pyramid in city centre Paris. I took this photo at dawn with a composition designed to emphasise the yin-yang effect of the rising sun as it lights up just one side of the courtyard of the old Louvre buildings.

Meteora Monastery, Greece
This is St Stephen's monastery in Greece. It dates from the 16th century and is one of a spectacular group of 6 monasteries that were built on the tops of natural sandstone pillars overlooking the Plain of Thessaly. I was in Meteora to meet up with an international group of photographer friends that I first met via DPR and Flickr.

ianbramham's gear list:ianbramham's gear list
Nikon D800
Nikon D700 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow