Fuji 14mm f2.8: Do I have a defective lens?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Summit_pg
Regular MemberPosts: 270Gear list
Like?
Fuji 14mm f2.8: Do I have a defective lens?
3 months ago

I'm relatively new to Fuji, having just selling all my FF Nikon gear for the Fuji X-T1, 56mm, 23mm, and 14mm this spring. So far I'm loving the X-T1, the 56mm, and the 23mm, but I'm really having issues with my 14mm.

I'm a very experienced photographer, but I've never had flare (veiling flare) issues like what I'm experiencing with my Fuji 14mm f2.8. My copy of the lens seems to have strange longitudinal flare coming from anything bright (i.e. light sources) within an image. The lens is clean, brand new, I do not use any filters with it, and always shoot it with the hood on. Sometimes, if there is nothing 'bright' in the image I can get away with a decent shot, but the rest of the time I get these weird washed-out images that look soft because the flare has eaten into the mid-tones and shadows of the image. At first I thought it might just be the sensor wasn't able to deal well with bright light sources, but I have shot the identical scenes under the same settings with my 23mm and 56mm and they are crisp and flare free. Below are a random sampling of shots that display the issue. They're all basically straight out of the camera.

Please let me know if you have any ideas as to what can be happening! I've examined hundreds of photos on Flickr from other people with the 14mm and I haven't come across any shots that show flare like my lens. I purchased the lens around a month ago from Camera Canada. Since I'm outside of their exchange period so I'm going to have to send it in for servicing if you guys agree that something appears to be wrong with the lens.

Thanks for any help!

Overcast sky, bright background, strong flare in centre of the image.

Overcast sky, bright background, centre of image basically destroyed and left looking soft by the flare

I think this one was processed, but the strong flare can be seen in the centre of the image in the trees

This is from the 14mm; notice the flare/glow to the chandelier and the haziness in the outside window

Here is the same shot, at the same time, with the same settings, via the Fuji 23mm. Image is crisp and void of any weird flare.

Another 14mm showing the horrible flare.

Image from the 23mm at the same time, same settings, etc, as the image above. No flare issues.

This image is from the 23mm; shooting directly into the pendant lamps. Mild flare, but well controlled.

Here is the same shot, same settings, with the 14mm. Notice the strong flare from the lights and the same affect on the pot light at the side of the frame.

Here is another from the 14mm with strong flare from all sources of light.

Here is the same shot, same time, same settings from the 23mm; it's sharp and flare free.

Summit_pg's gear list:Summit_pg's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-T1 +1 more
Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow