Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dresner
Regular MemberPosts: 291Gear list
Like?
Tried to clean the dust from my OVF on my 6D... won't do that again
Jun 12, 2014

Just want to share my experience for another newbie's benefit.

So I have had my 6D for less than a year, but felt like it was time to give it a cleaning since I started to notice some specs thru my OVF, but not on my pics.

First was easy, microfiber in the eye piece.  Done.

Then I just took the lens off, in my living room.  Probably would do my office, after a cleaned the desk and setup more dust protection next time.  I got my air bulb and turned the body facing down and blew up into it a a few times, letting gravity do its thing.  Looked thru the viewfinder and there was more dust lol.

I saw this clip, of course the kid in me couldn't stop myself and I pushed on it.  The small metal tray came down and the frosted plastic piece came down and I used the pump to push more air around, but this did not help.  I could swear I saw the specs, so I used the Adorama lens brush I had, that left lines on the mirror.

OK..this is when I felt sick.  I should have never have opened it.

I got my microfiber cloth, which was a bit damp from a few hours earlier.  Like maybe 5% damp... I gently wiped the mirror and it was fine after that.  I realized it might have some microscopic moisture on it, so I stopped using that microfiber and moved to a new one that was fresh from the package.  Gave the mirror and the frosted plastic a gentle wipe.  blew some air up into the cavity where the AF dots are.  Did not wipe it, but I put the microfiber clothing inside that area and moved it around a little to see if it would pick up some dust.  More blowing, and then the blower exploded and the tip shot up at the AF points lol.  I was like, what a nightmare.

I happend to be up late, live in Asia, so I used Vonage to call the USA and spoke to Canon USA and they said I didn't do anything that could damage my camera and that the microfiber cloth is fine, as long as I'm very gentle.

This morning, I gave the air one more shot to get rid of the dust.  No go.  I even used some compressed air, but very softly, from far away, and with the can vertical.  But no go.

All of this was with the mirror down, I did not blow on the sensor...

At this point, I realized I needed to get professional service.

Went to Canon at MBK, Bangkok - 3 hours later, mirror and sensor are clean ... $12.  New frosted plastic piece included.  No spots, etc.  Lucky I didn't damage anything expensive to repair.  Stupid me... I will NEVER try to clean it myself again.  Going to bring it to Canon once every X months and let them clean it.

dresner's gear list:dresner's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +3 more
Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow