* Wed C&C No Theme Thread #320 14 06 11 *

Started 2 months ago | Photos thread
Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 18,046
Like?
Re: Charters Towers
In reply to 19andrew47, 2 months ago

19andrew47 wrote:

Very nicely done Tom. Obstruction removal takes a lot of time to do well. I like the look of the image, a lot like pencil. It has a nice 'old time' feel.

Andrew

Andrew there is a story and a caution there.

Charters Towers is a small thriving town which has become the service town for a very large inland area of farming community.  But once it was a boom town in the gold era.  Nothing particularly remarkable other than that many of the substantial buildings of that frontier area have been retained in use and are well preserved in their original character. As mentioned before, such was the confidence in the place at the time that it had an Opera House and a Stock Exchange building.

Therefore there is some tourism surrounding these old buildings and in my wisdom I did a photographic survey on the day of my visit and applied my then newly worked out methods to try and give these building some of their original character - the Stan Pollard building is only one of about ten in a series.

I thought myself on a winner and after some days/weeks? of work I presented my images to the council as perhaps gracing a set of tourist postcards to be sold out of local outlets including their tourist information centre. I was getting positive vibes from those I was "speaking" to and even send a sample set of of A5 prints so that they could see the printed quality - which seemed very good.

This was followed by a peremptory, terse, but polite refusal from the Shire Clerk. Therefore my A5 set are probably unique and gracing someone's shelves/album somewhere.

Meanwhile my technique which has been admired by some seems to have hit a commercial dead end.  A pity as I thought that I might have found a little artistic niche.

But it serves as a warning that artists might think their work great but getting people to buy it is much harder to get than admiration (which is cheap).

But like Robert the Bruce in his cave maybe I should just try a bit harder?

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
LouNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow