Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Tuanglen
Junior MemberPosts: 39
Like?
Re: 28mm f1.8G, 58 f1.4G 80-200 f2.8D
In reply to TQGroup, 4 months ago

TQGroup wrote:

Tuanglen wrote:

I'm thinking that the interpretation of this is that most of you, under these artificial constraints, are saying that you would choose systems for image quality as first priority, followed by as much flexibility and convenience as you could get without any sacrifice of image quality.

Fair call. For mine, I want to get the image first and it has to be usable...

Not surprising, and clearly you're not alone.

There are, of course, other strategies here, too, but it does appear that most respondents would include more (and heavier & more expensive) primes than zooms for their own purposes, under these conditions. That's interesting.

Again, I do not understand how you reach this conclusion...

By "most respondents", I don't mean "almost everybody", I just mean more than half as I scan over the responses. But maybe a more careful analysis would show that my initial impression was incorrect.

In any case, I don't mean to treat these responses as statistics (too few, uncontrolled, not necessarily representative) but as examples of the strategies experienced people would employ when assembling a system from scratch as opposed to picking a lens. And I'd rather read people's own descriptions of their reasoning than try to figure it out for myself from a list of lenses alone, but the lens lists are helpful.

I'm hoping to eliminate the historical bias caused by purchasing to supplement what you already own ("If I didn't already have lens X, I'd get lens Y, but since I do, I'll get lens Z instead") while leaving the historical bias of useful experience ("I've tried lenses A, B, and C, and if I could only have one, it would be B").

I'm hoping to eliminate price bias ("I'd really rather have Lens X, but Lens Y is almost as good for half the price"). I'm hoping to reduce the "free stuff" bias ("I'd rather get $10,000 worth of free lenses than $5,000") and steer it toward a personal usefulness bias by making it all you'll have for your own use for a long time.

Almost all threads in this forum are interesting A/B comparisons of individual lenses ("A is lighter, but B is sharper in the corners"), and that's valuable to me. But I'd also like to see what strategies are employed when choosing lenses on the basis of how they relate to one another in the creation of the most useful (small) system.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow