Any three lenses (but only three)

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
munro harrap
Contributing MemberPosts: 711
Like?
Re: Any three lenses (but only three)
In reply to Tuanglen, 2 months ago

On a 36MP AA filter-less sensored camera I choose, for the next decade with no possibility of alteration, amen the 17-35mm f2.8, the 28-105mm f3.5-4.5, and the 70-200 f2.8 VRII

I am of course cheating. I have a 17mm f2.8, a 20mm f2.8, a 24mm f2.8, a 28mm f2.8 and a 35mm f2.8 in one lens alone.

In the second I have a 28mm f3.5 a 35mm f4, a 50mm f4.5 a 70mm f4.5 an 85mm f4.5 and a 105mm f4.5.

Then in the third I have 70mm, 85mm, 105mm , 135mm and 200mm f2.8 on full-frame and a 270mm f2.8 etcetera on APS-C crop in the D800E.

I chose the middle zoom as it is their best mid-range zoom still. The 24-70mm f2.8 gives far too much field curvature to be able to render anywhere but the centre sharp even stopped down- and I have owned two and tried a third. If Nikon can find one that has flat field and good resolution, I'll substitute.

I have primes, but they are just useless on SLRs out of studio/pack-shot and macro set-ups, as they are too limiting. When I "see" a shot its sucess depends on my viewpoint and cropping in or out from where I am standing at the time. Moving in or out wrecks viewpoint, perspective, everything, and you can get something else, but it will not not only not ever be the same, it will never happen again (reportage, sport, landscape, you name it!)

This is not a thought experiment as its what I use now, except that I have the 80-200AFS non VR zoom (just as good). I would prefer the new 70-200mm f2.8 VRII only fopr the VR and the ability to handhold tripodless.

Good thinking??

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow