Choosing between Nikon D5200 or Sony NEX6

Started Aug 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Amamba
Senior MemberPosts: 1,172Gear list
Like?
Re: Choosing between Nikon D5200 or Sony NEX6
In reply to Pr B, 5 months ago

Pr B wrote:

I have a parallel struggle. I have a Sony NEX-6, with the 55-210mm lens. The lens is a little slow/dark at 210mm: f/6.3. And AF at that length can be a bit spotty.

I use my camera mainly for birding and for hikes in the woods with the dogs. At 315mm equivalent focal length, that's a bit inadequate for birding.

I'm tempted to trade to a Nikon D3300, with the 55-300mm lens, which is a bit faster/brighter at 300mm: f/5.6. The equivalent focal length of 450mm is within the lower end of birding range. And, of course, DSLR AF is more spot-on.

I estimate the volume and the weight of the D3300, as rigged, to be about 2/3s more than the NEX-6.

I've been happy with the IQ of the Sony. Is the extra focal length, brighter lens, and faster AF worth the extra bulk?

Test it first, I tried D5200 with kit tele (probably the same one) and it was soft as hell.

Amamba's gear list:Amamba's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow