How much is the RX100 better in real life for a newbie?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Dale Cotton
Senior MemberPosts: 1,914
Like?
Re: How much is the RX100 better in real life for a newbie?
In reply to AndrewPhoto, 6 months ago

Based on my own limited knowledge, I would recommend the Canon S120 as the best all-around pocket camera for the novice and casual user. The main benefit of the RX100 is getting usable shots in dimmer light without flash than the other cameras can. But you can only rely on this happening if you have the knowledge to adjust the settings in the required way.

To answer some of the specific questions:

AndrewPhoto wrote:

I am new to this forum and photography in general, but up to now I've read quite a lot of reviews...

Mostly I have read in the range of:

-Sony RX100,

- Lumix LX7,

- Fuji X20

- Fuji XQ1

- Canon S120

But I am overwhelmed by the info...

The RX100 has a bigger and more sensitive sensor than the other cameras on your list. This has helps in two ways. In bright daylight the RX100 can record more of both the brightest and the darkest parts of the scene at the same time. The RX100 can also get usable results in lower, dimmer light than the others.

But these potential benefits of the RX100 are wasted unless the user knows what settings to use to exploit them. If the user only uses the full automatic setting, then these benefits will mostly be lost. If the user uses the Scene modes, there should be a certain amount of benefit to the RX100. But I don't have any experience with this so can't say for sure.

I'd like to put it simple, but I know it's quite impossibile to answer as often is a subjective matter:

Is the Sony RX100 the right choice for a newbie?

The above question could then be broken into smaller ones...

1) Which camera is more intuitive to set up and take a good shot, for a newbie, without dwelving for 2 minutes in a menu? So which camera is more "entertaining"?

Don't know about the Fujis, but the others can be used out of the box with no initial set-up at all. You only need to go into the menus if you want to do something unusual. And even then, you can set many such functions to the quick-access button. The RX100 has no special benefit in this regard.

2) Is the RX100 "better image quality" really appreciable for a newbie? And is this better image quality appreciable only at enlargment stamps or also on regular 10x15 album?

Depends. If you're trying to do low light shots without flash, then the RX100 will allow you to get noticeably better results -- but only if you learn how to set the exposure yourself. If you let it do an automatic exposure, you'll get just as many bad shots from the RX100 as any of the others.

3) There is somewhere on internet a "real world" comparison of "real life" shots taken with diffeent cameras on the same situation?

That's a good idea. But all the review samples I've seen tend to concentrate on showing only successful shots. In any case, the results would very much depend on the how knowledgeable the photographer is.

I really appreciate the last point much... I have seen a lot of static photo comparision and graphs etc, but they say me quite little, cause I'm not a photograph... What about shooting during a dinner with your friends, maybe after a couple of drinks? What about shooting your baby driving that minimoto at night?

(In another words: maybe with dim light is possible for the RX100 to shoot at ISO 800 at 1/60", so no blur of moving subjects, while in the same conditions with for example the Fuji you can't go faster then 1/15"... I'd like to see comparison like these!)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow