Veteran MemberPosts: 3,078
Like?
Re: FZ-1000 25-400mm equivalent f/2.8-4.0 Leica Lens
In reply to Deso, 4 months ago

Deso wrote:

Further specs:

- 1.0-inch CMOS sensor
- Venus engine
- 25-400mm equivalent f/2.8-4.0 Leica DC Vario Elmarit lens.
- Lens configuration is 15 pieces in 11 groups. 5 aspherical lens (8 Side)
- AF linear motor. AF speed is 0.09 seconds
- 0.66 seconds start-up time
- 4K video
- 4K PHOTO to cut out a still image of 8 million pixels from 4K video
- The space recognition AF by DFD
- EVF is 2.36 million dot-inch organic EL 0.39
- A monitor 920,000 dot 3.0-inch
- Continuous shooting 12 frames / second
- Wi-Fi, NFC
- Focus peaking, ring type manual focus
- Camera RAW development

I'm not sure if this is "better" than the RX10 to be honest. Yes the extra reach is nice, but seeing as the 4/3 GM1 can only "compete" with the RX10/RX100iii sensor, I don't see panasonic's 1" sensor do better.
I actually expect it to do a lot less well.

And 4K? Give me decent 1080P instead....4K is a future that is so far away for now...
I shoot only family videos and even my 1080P material has to be transferred to 720P to get to a reasonable file size that I can send around.
Not convinced...

The major limitation to the RX10 is its maximum 200mm range.  Most expect this new Pany superzoom will be using the Sony 1" sensor as they now use a smaller Sony sensor in their LX7.

At present the 1" sensor size seems to be the sweet point for image quality in small sensors as the largest that back illumination design is economically feasible.  This sensor is much better IQ than the smaller sensors but lower than the m4/3 sensor at higher ISOs.

Any superzoom with a larger sensor than this one would have a huge lens in size.  In my opinion the 25-400mm/f2.8-4 reach is a very good range as fast enough and with possibly TC can have its focal length doubled without losing any significant lens speed.  Yes APS  have some small lenses of similar focal length but they are all much slower lenses , hence poorer AF. Again some of the very best IQ FF tele lenses from Canon and Nikon are usually F4 at the tele end and any F2.8 lens is huge in comparison.

I think Pany recently has come up with some very outstanding new models  ie the GX7, GM1, GH4, and now LX8 and this new superzoom.  Congraduations to Panasonic engineers.  I only hope that it will be affordable and Pany marketing practices make these models more available.

Those who decry the need for any video are in my opinion really missing an opportunity especially for wildlife filming.  It used to be not many years ago you had to have a separate cam recorder to do your video since video on camera was less practical as required very expensive memory chips which are now cheap.  As others have noted the 4K video when shown on 1080 screen looks wonderful but does require a lot of memory etc.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow