Why legacy lenses sometimes work so so, and why a speedboster helps.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Serge 07
Regular MemberPosts: 188Gear list
Like?
Re: Why legacy lenses sometimes work so so, and why a speedboster helps.
In reply to belcanto, 3 months ago

belcanto wrote:

Just read this at Lensrentals

To put it shortly.There seems to be a peice of optical glass in front of the sensor that sometimes make things hard for legacy lenses. But a speedboster compensates for this and brings out the best in these older lenses. Food for thought....

Kjell

I have seen this mentioned before but it is not clear (at least to me) why adding an additional generic glass element to a well designed lens would be an improvement. For instance, there is a gigantic thread @ fredmiranda dedicated to modern digital Nikon bodies solely using manual legacy Nikkors. There are hundreds of incredible photos posted there with lenses which were designed well before the digital era & the employment of any optical glass covering the sensor. Certain lenses perform better than others but those that excelled in the film days also excel with modern digital sensors, whether it be crop or FF.

From my experience, the small collection of old school manual lenses I use with the XE-1 are excellent performers using a $25 adapter. I would not mind trying a speedbooster at some point for curiosity's sake but @ $400, it needs to have one darn good return policy.

Regards

Serge 07's gear list:Serge 07's gear list
Nikon D40 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow