Where to go in North Italy, Switzerland?

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Lord Mox
Regular MemberPosts: 182Gear list
Like?
Where to go in North Italy, Switzerland?
4 months ago

Not an ordinary post, but hoping for some help from my fellow Nikonians who know their way around North Italy and Switzerland or that part of Europe in general.

In three days time, I am flying off to Europe. Will land in Athens to attend a conference. I have 4 days (3 nights) to roam wherever I want before settling in Athens for another 4 days to actually attend the conference. Haven't had time to plan really since the whole thing came up two days ago.

Here seeking your guidance and suggestions. My friend and I (both mid-thirties) are both amateur photographers and nature lovers. It's June, so I can't imagine better place to see nature at its glory than northern Italy, Switzerland, and possibly Austria. However, open for other suggestions.

I am hoping that you would imagine yourself in my position....camera gear + car + no obligations + no set plans + 4 days..

Limited by: Not too far by plane from Athens (max 2-3hrs) to a starting point where we hire a car + within Schengen states for visa purposes + will need a place to sleep of course at night, so can't go camping or taking long walks. Can't go to Greek Island as we prefer to stay inland, and love driving. The route must end where we started to return the car and catch flight back to Athens.

Looking for: To spend the days, enjoying and photographing what we see..specially natural scenery.. natural beauty, mountains, lakes, greenery, flowers, rivers ...etc.. you get the picture. Not looking for landmarks, or highrise buildings, nor street photography. Well, centuries-old castles are indeed welcomed

We dont mind traveling to different places. In fact, where our plan stands now is to drive from Milan in Italy to Lausanne in Switzerland to Davos in Switzerland and back to Milan (SEE PIC). Selected this route purely after looking at terrains in map and hoping that by driving through the Alps were bound to see great places and stop to photograph them....neither of us been there..but we've been close to there.

So, any suggestions? Again, put yourself in my shoes and plan an imaginary route in that part of Europe or any other part within the limitations above...If you could post few pictures with the recommendations that would be great. The point is to recommend a route, and then highlight some points along this route to stop and photograph.

I know it might be a long stretch, but thought to ask here...

Promise to post some shots after I come back...don't raise your expectations too high though..still in my early days of learning

This is the gear I am taking D600 and d5300, 16-35mm f4, 50mm 1.8g, 70-200mm 2.8 vrii.

Lee's big stopper and .6 soft grad, Manfrotto tripod and monopod, polarizer filter and other accessories.

Can't wait for your recommendations...only three days left to fly! Damn I need to start booking something hehe

Thanks all,

-LM

Lord Mox's gear list:Lord Mox's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D5300 Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow