Which one of this lenses is the best option ? If they have almost the same price.

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
Chris R-UK
Forum ProPosts: 12,531Gear list
Like?
Re: Which one of this lenses is the best option ? If they have almost the same price.
In reply to Francisco Contreras, 5 months ago

Francisco Contreras wrote:

Between the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM and the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM which one its the best ?

I only have $1500US for buying this lens. I've already have wide and normal lenses so now i want to complete the family but my budget its only $1500US Because in terms of cost its almost the same it's just $100US of difference.

I now that a f2.8 its gorgeous but for me the weight its a very important deal. Do you guys thing that the IS of the f4 will be enough for replacing the 1 stop that increases in the f4 ?

Sorry for my english but this is to technical for me.

Thanks a lot !

The f/2.8 is an old lens and, although its image quality is very good, the f/4 is better.

The IS on the f/4 is worth 2-3 stops so that lens will be better for hand held shots of stationary subjects in low light.  However, it won't help with motion blur if you are shooting fast moving targets in low light.

So, if you want to shoot something like sports in low light or if you need the very shortest depth of field, then get the f/2.8 .  For everything else the f/4 is better and lighter.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow