* Wed C&C No Theme Thread #320 14 06 11 *

Started 6 months ago | Photos thread
Ravenwing Photo
Contributing MemberPosts: 663Gear list
Like?
Hover
In reply to 19andrew47, 6 months ago

Here is an example of shot rescue, and I'd be interested in your thoughts as to anything that could be done to further improve it.  E-M1 and 50-200 with EC-20, woefully underexposed since it was a quick grab using settings to protect very strong side-lit highlights from afternoon sun. Please enlarge for best viewing.

First something close to 'out of camera', a straight default DxO conversion to JPG, simply resized:

So then using the original ORF, this was converted in DxO (with considerable adjustments to exposure), exported to LR as a DNG, where I further massaged the histogram,  then exported as a JPG for final tweaking in PS:

I'll point out that this was without any advanced techniques involving layers, masking, etc.  99% was done simply utilizing the latitude that RAW files provide.  I think it came out reasonably well, though the hummer's 'face' is still a bit dark, particularly the 'ruby-throated' patch that gives it the name, but being in the shadows, that is a fairly accurate depiction of how the ruby throat appeared.  It depends on sunlight to reflect the red color.  And bringing up the shadows any further seems to give it an artificial look.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and ideas!

-- hide signature --

Nate
"There's only one rule in photography - never develop colour film in chicken noodle soup." - Freeman Patterson

Ravenwing Photo's gear list:Ravenwing Photo's gear list
Olympus E-10 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-500 Olympus E-30 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
LouNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow