ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Oceans Media
Junior MemberPosts: 28Gear list
Like?
Rock solid build with 8/10 image quality
6 months ago

Build:

I bought this lens to go with my D5300. First impressions was that is was built so well! It's probably a better finish then some of my old L Series lenses.When I put it on my D5300 it made the camera look so small. It is heavy but thats because it has a lot of glass elements inside a sturdy metal case.I give the build quality a 9/10.

Image Quality:

For the price the image quality is actually really good if you use a tripod. Without a tripod you would find it hard to get a steady image even with IS on due to a combination of the zoom length and weight of the lens. Im a fit guy with big arms and I can't get it to hold still past 200mm. However add a tripod and the images are good wide open and sharp as a tack at f8.

Use:

If you are going on Safari, have an interest in birds or similiar this is a good choice if you use a tripod. I bought it for Astrophotography (eclipses / moonscapes etc) and for surfing photography. I originally intended to use it as a cross over lens for weddings but its just not suitable for that due to its size, weight and f4.5-5.6 limitation.

Conclusion:

I got this lens for $799 AUD delivered. I am estactic about its image quality for that price. Sure I could spend an extra couple of thousand and get a lens with 10/10 image quality, but for under $1000 retail I am happy with its 8/10 image quality and 9/10 construction.

Oceans Media's gear list:Oceans Media's gear list
Nikon D5300 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Sigma 120-400mm F4.5-5.6 DG OS HSM Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC MACRO OS HSM | C Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5
Oceans Media's score
Average community score
Nikon D5300 Sigma 120-400mm F4.5-5.6 DG OS HSM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow