Any three lenses (but only three)

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Rexgig0
Senior MemberPosts: 1,949Gear list
Like?
My three: 18/2.8 AF-D, 50/1.2 AI-S, 90mm AI-P equivalent
In reply to Tuanglen, 6 months ago

Based upon lenses with with I have experience, which means lenses I currently own, the Nikkor 18mm 2.8D and 50mm 1.2 AI-S, plus the Voigtlander 90mm 3.5 SL II. I would miss the advantages of AF at 50mm and 90mm, but could survive the decade. I would sorely miss the 28mm to 35mm range, but my 50mm 1.2 AI-S is a favorite, and I am currently wanting to shoot ultra-wide. The 90/3.5 would have to suffice for macro and short telephoto.

In theory, I would prefer the Zeiss 21mm at the wide end, but not having hands-on experience, yet, it would be better to stay with my familiar ultra-wide. Even if its images were wonderful, its weight might limit its practical utility. My body is starting to feel its age, especially in my right shoulder, wrist, and hand, so a heavy lens might not be the best travel companion for the next decade. ( I recall Felts' narrative regarding the weight of the Zeiss 21/2.8 ZF.2. )

If I were to choose an unfamiliar wide, based solely upon reputation, I reckon it would be the Nikkor 28mm 2.8 AI-S. If the scenario had, instead, been for a lifetime, rather, than a decade, I might well choose the 28mm 2.8 AI-S for the wide end.

So, my final answer, for one decade of shooting, is Nikkor 18mm 2.8D, Nikkor 50mm 1.2 AI-S, and Voigtlander 90mm 3.5 SL II.

-- hide signature --

I wear a badge and pistol, and, primarily with 7D cameras, with an EF-S 10-22mm and 100mm Macro L, make evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, and PJ. During personal time, I enjoy using both Canons and Nikons.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +26 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow