which GX7 settings for max DoF and max resolution?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
grasscatcher
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
which GX7 settings for max DoF and max resolution?
3 months ago

Subject matter: shooting landscape panoramas for documentary purposes, shooting outdoors, mid-day, on a tripod.

Ok, my first thought was to step down to f/22, but sharpness/detail drops off with those smaller apertures. F/8, or thereabouts, seems to offer best sharpness. I'd imagine this varies by lens, also. With all shots being in broad daylight and from a tripod, I'm keeping ISO's around 200 for max detail. I'll be keeping shutter speeds high, also, but haven't dialed in the magic numbers yet.

Are there any other tricks for getting the most detail/sharpness while keeping maximum DoF? Seems like shallow DoF has been beat to death, but not much out there on max DoF. I do have a Canon P&S (S3 IS), if I need to stick with small sensor, but I'd much rather utilize the detail of the GX7's sensor.

Also, will lenses make a big difference in this application? I'd like to stay below 15mm (30mm equiv.) as I am stitching together photos for 360-degree panoramas. The kit lens satisfies that requirement, but would I gain much by, say, going with the new Summilux wide-angle? Or even Panny's 14mm prime, as compared to the kit zoom? I do have the Summilux 25/1.4 (mainly for indoor photos), but it doesn't work as well for panoramas due to parallax errors on near-field subjects, plus it loses the overall landscape feel, even with stitched images.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow