Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
Jerry Fusselman
Regular MemberPosts: 422Gear list
Like?
"A single arbitrary number?"
In reply to Erik Magnuson, 1 month ago

Erik Magnuson wrote:

Jerry Fusselman wrote:

Which laws of physics are you thinking of? By all means, show us your proof.

I'm thinking of the laws of physics that compares more than just a single arbitrary number with no context as to actual significance.

-- hide signature --

Erik

Hi Erik. I'll be unusually careful here too:

1. You were talking about the laws of physics that say that no more than one stop of improvement in low-light performance over the Sony A7r is possible. That's the law of physics I was hoping you would provide for me. I'm still interested!
  2. There is no law of physics that "compares more than just a single arbitrary number with no context as to actual significance."
  3. It is not a "single arbitrary number." It is DxOmark's attempt to summarize, as best they can, overall quality of the sensor. I think they did a pretty good job, but you can check out their thinking here: http://www.dxomark.com/About/Lens-scores/Use-Case-Scores
  4. Can you do better for a single-number summary? If you can, let's hear it; we're always eager to learn. If you can't, then it makes no sense to say that Canon's best sensor is better in low light than Sony's best. The only way one can be better than the other is if you can find an index number for your assessments. If you truly believe that no index number is possible, then sweeping statements about relatively quality must generally be false due to the infinite number of dimensions of possible comparison.
  5. One virtue of an index number over tons of numbers is that you are less likely to be accused or guilty of cherry picking.

I'm quite happy to continue this discussion.

-- hide signature --

Jerry Fusselman

Jerry Fusselman's gear list:Jerry Fusselman's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EOS 100D +40 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow